Select your Top Menu from wp menus

Amber Alert Canceled for Teen; Suspect in Custody

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Orange County investigators are still hoping to speak to the teenager whose disappearance sparked an Amber Alert on Friday. They believe the girl is safe and say the suspect who is in custody is not cooperative.


What You Need To Know

  • Florida Amber Alert issued for 16-year-old girl canceled
  • Orange County deputies said they want to ensure she hasn’t been victimized
  • Detectives said they still don’t know the girl’s identity

Detectives said they were made aware that the girl was spotted on video, not injured and seemingly safe, from a timeframe shortly before Alexander Lopez, 44, in the case was apprehended.  

“We do not know who the female is. We are still working on that. Thankfully, the Amber Alert we put out worked fantastically. We immediately got calls and we want to thank the public for that and we want to thank a citizen who called us after spotting the vehicle based on the Amber Alert,” said Detective Cpl. Nikki Harper of the Sex Crimes Unit of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff’s detectives said they still do not know the female’s identity, and they would like to talk with her to determine if she was victimized in any way. She is not in any kind of trouble, the sheriff’s office assured.

A man had been detained in connection with the alert. Investigators say, around 7:03 a.m. Friday, an unidentified Hispanic male in his mid-forties and about 5-feet-6-inches tall, was seen forcing the teen into a vehicle at a gas station on the 3200 block of South Goldenrod Road in Orlando.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement says the teen’s name is not yet known, though she is described as either a white or Hispanic female with long brown hair, who is 5-feet-6-inches and weighs 135 pounds.

The 16-year-old girl was last seen wearing a red, baggy t-shirt and dark pants, while the man was last seen wearing a white V-neck shirt and shorts.

Just before 5 p.m. the sheriff’s office announced it had apprehended Lopez. They believe he is the man who forced the teen into a vehicle. They also say he is not cooperating with authorities.

He is also facing half a dozen charges including fleeing and reckless driving. 

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Orange County Sheriff’s Office at 1-866-858-7233 or 911.

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *