TAMPA, Fla. — Hillsborough County Public Schools and the Florida Department of Health are teaming up to get kids vaccinated against the flu.
The district says five area schools will host a flu clinic in December. The flu vaccinations are available by appointment only.
In order to follow CDC guidelines, the clinics will be set up in a drive-through format and people are asked to stay in their vehicles throughout the entire process.
“This is a vital service to our school community to ensure students are in school, learning, and engaged with their teachers every single day. Medical experts confirm that receiving the flu vaccination is more important than ever this year. We understand that the flu can affect our youngest learners to a greater extent therefore, we must offer multiple opportunities for our families to take advantage of this initiative.” — Superintendent Addison Davis.
According to the health department, the vaccinations will be provided with no out-of-pocket cost to families. However, a family’s insurance company could be billed if their insurance policy will cover the shot.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany students in order to get a flu shot.
The locations and times are listed below:
|West||Alonso High School||8302 Montague St., Tampa||Tuesday, December 8, 2020||5:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
|North||Gaither High School||16200 N. Dale Mabry Hwy., Tampa||Thursday, December 10, 2020||5:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
|South||Lennard High School||2342 E. Shell Point Rd., Ruskin||Saturday, December 12, 2020||9:00 – 11 a.m.|
|East||Plant City High School||One Raider Place, Plant City||Tuesday, December 15, 2020||5:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
|Central||King High School||6815 N 56th St, Tampa||Thursday, December 17, 2020||5:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
The health department says each person who is receiving a flu shot is required to:
- Be pre-registered and receive an appointment time by calling (813) 307-8085, Monday through Friday from 8-5 p.m.
- Pre-register at least 24 hours in advance of the clinic they plan to attend.
- Download and fill out a permission form https://bit.ly/ShotFormEnglishor https://bit.ly/ShotFormSpanishand bring it to the clinic.
- Arrive at their scheduled appointment time
- Remain in their car. No walk-ups will be permitted.
- All persons in the vehicle must wear a face covering or mask.